Saturday, September 11, 2010

Week 2 – Reading Notes

Wikipedia Article: Personal computer hardware

I like this article because it was fun to test my knowledge. I looked at the picture and named as many components as possible. I was able to name most of the external hardware but only a few of the internal pieces. This article did increase my knowledge of internal computer parts.

Wikipedia Article: Moore's law

Technological increases and consumer demand has transformed our expectations of technology and the speed at which information is processed. This is a blessing and a curse because when technology fails the systems starts to shut down (education, payroll, business, and so on).

Computer History Museum

The timeline of computer history exhibit is interesting to see the physical change in technology size. I remember in middle school inserting a pancake size floppy disk into a computer :)

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about the pancake size floppy disk reminds me of our class discussion this week about different formats. I still have floppy disks back at my parents' house that I can't even use anymore because I don't have a computer with a floppy drive. Whatever is on the disks is now unaccessable. Changes in technology are exciting but I expect they will also at times be frustrating when we're working as librarians. A whole collection of materials can become obsolete relatively quickly these days.

    ReplyDelete