Saturday, September 25, 2010

Week 4 – Reading Notes

Wikipedia article: Data Compression

Data compression is great for saving space but I have had some lousy experiences with data decompression (as the article points out). When I attempt to decompress word documents and choose Microsoft Word 2007 as the application to open the file I usually receive an “unable to complete the task message.”

Side note: If possible, can someone provide me with technical instructions? Thanks. 

DVD HQ: Data compression basics

The layman's terms used in this article are perfect in helping  me understand a little more about data compression algorithms. These works are usually written for an audience familiar with technical jargon so at times the concepts are hard to grasp.   

Edward A. Galloway, “Imaging Pittsburgh:”

Digitization is vital to a region because it allows individuals to explore/connect with the places and people in their community without having to travel. Opening access to the Pittsburgh regions cultural and people is important for growth and I think it is best articulated through images.  As a Pittsburgh native the Institute of Museum of Library Services made a good investment by providing the grant. 

Paula L. Webb, YouTube and libraries: 

Using YouTube to reach a broader audience is a creative idea and inexpensive. The public library I work at would not use the resource because it is an nontraditional method of dissemination. Another branch is staffed by older adults who are unfamiliar with the technology. I find this both interesting and unfortunate. Something else to think about is how to preserve this medium owned by a third party.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, Stacey, I have not had good luck with decompression of documents either. But maybe now that we've read more about it we can hopefully understand it enough to figure out what's going wrong :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks jcg! I'm a visual leaner so I would need to view a tutorial also. Possibly on YouTube :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another consideration with You Tube: many libraries do not provide enough internet access to make this feasible. If you are forced to wait in line to use a computer, and are too lazy to view the material on your own time, it may as well not be offered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the Historic Pittsburgh site! Reading the article brings to light the amount of work that is involved in making something like this possible. I love that the images can be browsed based on several characteristics, such as theme, time period, etc. You are so lucky to live in Pittsburgh!

    ReplyDelete